What is NP3?
NP3 is a surface treatment for steel and metal alloys that combines sub-micron
particles of PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene), otherwise known as Teflon, with
NP3 - THE PROCESS
The application of NP3 is auto-catalytic, that is, not requiring any form of
electricity. This process is preferable to standard electrolytic plating as all active
surfaces are evenly plated, which is not the case with any electrolytically
deposited coating. With Robar's well-equipped laboratory, coating thickness can
be maintained to within .0002" or two ten thousandths of one inch, guaranteeing
consistent quality coatings. With the PTFE evenly distributed and locked into the
nickel-phosphorus matrix, NP3 is a true composite. If wear occurs, fresh particles
of PTFE are exposed to keep the opposing surfaces lubricated throughout the
life of the coating.
NP3 - THE ADVANTAGES
· Very accurate and even sidenav3 on all activated surfaces.
· No lubrication is needed on opposing surfaces.
· Cleaning is minimal, usually requiring only a soft cloth.
· Permits firing for longer periods of time between cleaning, as dirt and powder
residue has no wet or oily surface to cling to.
· NP3 has a micro hardness of 48-51 Rockwell as plated (nickel matrix).
· NP3 is very corrosion resistant, a 1 mil (.001) coating exceeding a 240 hour salt
· NP3 has a high lubricity and low friction co-efficient; therefore, the life
expectancy of a firearm will be greatly increased due to reduced friction wear.
The coating is strippable with no effect on the base metal, allowing other
coatings to be applied or a new coating of NP3 to be applied, if necessary.
· NP3 plated onto stainless steel guns will prevent galling, a problem common
with stainless steel.
· NP3 is a satin gray, non-reflective color ideal for all firearms.
· NP3 can be plated to all internal parts giving a smoothness to the action not
found with any other coating.
· In cases where the NP3 has been perforated, the corrosion shows no tendency
to spread or migrate under the coating.
· NP3 is guaranteed against corrosion, peeling or flaking for the lifetime of the
NP3 and will adhere to aluminum, steel, and stainless steel. It cannot be applied
finishes to Titanium, Scandium or 'pot metal'. Previously plated surfaces like
nickel, hard chrome or anodizing must be stripped prior to plating.
NP3 is Electroless Nickel with embedded TEFLON. The TEFLON is bonded to
the particles of Nickel at the molecular level providing self lubrication throughout
the entire coating. The Nickel in this finish provides corrosion and abrasion
resistance. NP3 is a soft metallic gray color, somewhat similar to bead-blasted
stainless steel or titanium.
How does NP3 compare to Hard Chrome?
Hard Chrome is very hard, typically 70-74 Rockwell C scale. NP3 is 48-51
Rockwell C scale. However, Hard Chrome plates unevenly and typically builds
on radiuses. Hard Chrome also has an adhesion of 12 to 15 thousand psi and
little corrosion resistance. NP3 plates very evenly, is extremely corrosion resistant
and has an adhesion of 30-60,000 psi! This is one of the reasons we can give it a
LIFETIME guarantee against peeling and flaking.
NP3 Information by, Coatings Technologies, Inc.